Moving can be stressful, but it doesn’t have to be. The entire process can run smoothly from start to finish with some thoughtful foresight and planning. Once approval from the mortgage lender is received and a new home is purchased, it’s time to start devising a game plan for moving day. Use this trusty checklist to help guide you through the process.
One Month Before Moving
- Contact the following organizations to change your mailing address:
- United States Postal Service
- Apartment Manager / Previous Mortgage Providers
- Billers to contact typically include :
- Lawn & Garden
- Home Security
- Media Subscription Services
- Hire a moving company or rent a moving truck.
- Inquire about moving insurance with movers or insurance company.
- Research personal storage spaces available for rent (if downsizing).
- Transfer medical records (and school records, if applicable).
- Ask your primary physician for a referral to a doctor located near your new residence.
Two Weeks Before Moving
- Cancel utility services for the day after your move (or have them scheduled to be transferred).
- Purchase packing supplies:
- Packing Paper / Bubble Wrap
- Prepare travel arrangements for moving day.
- Make special arrangements for children and/or pets.
- Create a master list of items you plan to pack.
- Pack boxes using a color code system and label accordingly.
- Consolidate unwanted items by selling, donating, or throwing them away.
One Week Before Moving
- Contact moving company or rental truck service to confirm your reservation.
- Gather important documents and keep them safely packed in a suitcase or overnight bag.
- Transfer prescriptions to your local pharmacy.
- Order bank checks with your new address.
- Dismantle any large furniture that is unable to fit through doorways.
- Notify important people about your new address by email or address cards:
- HR Managers
- Return any borrowed items lent by neighbors and friends.
- Clean the house or apartment thoroughly prior to moving out:
- Carpet / Flooring
One Day Before Moving
- Withdraw cash from the bank or ATM to tip movers.
- Purchase bottled water and small snacks for moving day.
- Pack a suitcase with toiletries and a change of clothes.
- Pack any remaining items that have yet to be boxed.
- Record utility meter readings to confirm the price of the final bill.
- Supervise the movers and coordinate with them regarding new address, delivery time, etc.
- Arrive at your new home before the movers do.
- Let a friend or relative know about your travel plans.
- Unpack and inspect fragile or valuable items for potential damages.
After Moving In
- Recycle unwanted boxes.
- Reassemble dismantled furniture.
- Contact the DMV to update your record and driver’s license.
- Register for new license plates (if moving out of state).
With this checklist in hand, moving has never been easier. Now you can rest easy knowing everything is in its right place. Happy moving!
Contact A and N Mortgage today to learn more about buying your future home!